What sets elite hockey athletes and movers apart from the rest? While there are many contributing factors, we want to focus on the 5 key factors that we think are the most important!
1) Posture: While there are many different skating postures depending on the movement you are attempting, having great biomechanics in each platform ensures great joint range of motion and maximum force production output.
2) Equilibrium: To generate maximum flow of movement the body in any movement needs to be adequately balanced. Ensure center of mass is over your base of support and fly!
3) Movement Pattern Coordination: Skating is a dynamic movement that couples many different skating dynamics into movement patterns. Movement pattern coordination through perfect weight shift allows players to maximize their speed and efficiency while blazing around the ice!
4) Add Stick Skills: The game of hockey is all about executing skating patterns while carrying the puck, receiving passes, touching it back and releasing it off your stick. Add stick skills which increases the complexity of the pattern and get’s you ready to play in a game!
5) Rep Patterns in Game Situations: Executing complex on-ice patterns while delivering skill in game situations is the Holy Grail of the game’s top players. Ensure you’re repping these patterns in game situations to map timing and pressure and watch your game SOAR!